Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Magic Stamp ‘After Party’ By Judi Kauffman for The Queen's Ink


I came home from teaching the fun-filled ‘Magical Land of Magic Stamp’ class on August 7 with stamped bits of newsprint that the students gave me as a souvenir. I planned on using them for an art journal page.

 






As usual, one thing led to another and as I tore the paper into pieces for my collage I decided to go in another direction. I glued everything to a 12” x 12” sheet of mustard gold cardstock and stamped over it, using the blocks I made in class as part of the demo.

Then I cut the square into Artist Trading Cards that I’m going to take back to The Queen’s Ink as a souvenir for each of the students to pick up on their next trip to the store! There were 14 students and I was able to make 15 ATCs, one for Patti and the gang.


The photo above shows the collage before it was cut into pieces. It is relatively random, but I did try to keep some of the image-based pieces (like the lion) from getting lost. Here are some close-ups to show how I overlapped the scraps:





The photo below shows how I did the cutting. Two rows at the left are 3.5” wide for a yield of 8 ATCs and 2 scraps. Two rows to the right are 2.5” wide for a yield of 6 ATCs and 2 scraps.


As you can see from the photo above and the close-up below, I ‘cheated’ when cutting the row at the far left to keep the whole lion’s face instead of chopping it.


Because I wanted to end up with 15 ATCs, one more than the number of students, I overlapped the two 3.5” wide scraps from the rows at the left to give me that all-important fifteenth card. (I considered keeping the remaining two scraps but did something radical – I put them in the recycling bin! And left them there…)


Next stop, the ‘After Party’! Time to take each of the ATCs to the next level!

I stamped each one ‘Best Day Ever!’, distressed the edges of the rectangles with the same ink (my go-to dark teal green) and started coloring, adding embellishments to each as a final touch.

I used:
  • Rubber Moon ‘Best Day Ever!’ stamp by Sunny Carvalho
  • Dye-based ink in dark teal
  • Prismacolor colored pencils
  • Elizabeth Craft Designs Glitter Dots peel-offs (Transparent/Gold)
  • A white gel pen
  • A fine nib black pen
  • A copper metallic paint pen
  • Scraps of alcohol ink-altered Shimmer Sheetz
By popular request, I will be teaching The Magical Land of Magic Stamp again in the fall!!

Here are the finished ATCs:





2 comments:

  1. Love these! Love the colors. Very creative way to make a memory of the entire class's work.

    ReplyDelete