Monday, March 13, 2017

Embroidered Snacks by Judi Kauffman for The Queen’s Ink


I think I should have eaten a bigger breakfast. When I got out Nathalie Kalbach’s Mixed Media Stamps Embroidery Set from RubberMoon this morning instead of seeing random pattern elements to use in an art journal spread or on a canvas, I saw FOOD – a donut, crackers, chocolate bonbons, and cookies.


That made me think about all of the Instagram photos that people take to chronicle their special meals and desserts, so as long as I was thinking about snacks I decided to work within the same square format.

One Thing Led to Another (I think that’ll be my second official mantra; the first remains Easy Isn’t Cheating) . . .

I stamped the images, drew around them to establish the shape for each snack, and sponged on some inks before doing the fussy cutting. Then I went hunting for a doily. Gold ones, just the right size (a tad under 6”) were hiding among my party supplies.

I die cut a 6” circle to use for a plate, centered the snacks on the plate, put the plate on a 6.75” patterned paper square accented with gold photo corners and added a final layer for the border – another patterned paper, this time a 7.75” square.


Here’s what I’m going to do with this very silly project:

Hang it on the door whenever a friend comes for tea and cookies. Put it on the front of the fridge so I can chuckle at it for a while, then tuck it away as a memory of a very enjoyable morning. Or maybe I’ll laminate it and use it as the cover for a recipe book!

I’m also going to make a series of smaller cards with only a couple of snacks. A couple of cookies or three little bonbons is all it would take, atop a quarter of a plate and doily set at the corner of a 4” square card, I think. Might be fun to do bridal shower invitations in wedding colors or thank you notes for a baked treat!

YOUR TURN

Look at the stamp set and let your imagination run in new directions. See what YOU see. (I’ve got another post coming and I’ll give you a hint: Animals!)

Get silly! (Get the kids in on the act – they’re fearless…)

Do the opposite of silly! (Maybe you’ll discover maps and landscapes, pottery or a garden…)

Alternatively, duplicate my project as shown. Here’s what you’ll need:


SUPPLIES
  • Nathalie Kalbach’s Mixed Media Stamps Embroidery Set (RubberMoon)
  • Archival ink in black
  • Craft sponge
  • Inks in assorted whimsical ‘food’ colors (chocolate brown, tan, buttercream, orange)
  • Sakura Pigma Micron 1mm in black (for outlining snacks)
  • Scissors
  • 6” Doily
  • 6” Circle die or plate to trace
  • Solid color cardstock (for plate)
  • Photo corners
  • Two coordinating patterned papers

3 comments:

  1. I like silly. You have taken a mind swing this time, from flourishes and die cuts and fancy. Fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Totally looks like an Instagram food post. :)

    ReplyDelete