Friday, May 31, 2019

Faux Watercolor Note Cards by Judi Kauffman for The Queen’s Ink

Other people (AKA my husband) take pictures of buildings and scenery, but when I’m on vacation I like to take a lot of close-up shots, especially flowers. I print and frame favorites for my studio wall, some of them go into an album. Sometimes I use them as references for watercolor paintings or cut paper shapes inspired by what I’ve recorded with my camera, but other times when I’m feeling lazy I turn to an app called Waterlogue instead. It does all the work of turning an image into a painting! The program has a variety of options - softly rendered shapes, outlines that look like pen work and more. It’s also incredibly easy to use, a perfect activity for a rainy day or chilly evening. It is those computer-altered photos that are the basis for today’s tutorial.

Here’s a look at two pairs of photos - original image followed by a ‘painting’ done in the Waterlogue app:



I could have made photo cards out of the original images as I often do when making note cards or postcards, but thought it would be fun to use the altered versions for a change. I matted them to patterned paper and then onto a simple white 5x7 card base, and in the case of the iris onto a card base made from bright, patterned cardstock. 

Best of all, the drugstore where we get prints was having a sale: Fifty 4x6 prints for six dollars. I couldn’t pass it up! My Faux Watercolor Notecards cost only about twenty cents each to make.

Now it’s YOUR turn! 
1. Take some close-up photos of things that interest you. Alter them in a computer and get 4 x 6 prints. Alternatively, draw and stencil directly onto the original (realistic) prints.

2. Choose patterned papers to coordinate with the prints. Mat prints onto the patterned paper, leaving a border measuring 1/8” to 3/8”. Adhere matted print onto a 5 x 7 white or patterned card base.

3. Write or stamp something inside; mail the cards! (Resist the urge to keep them in a box - you can always make more!) 

Supplies:

  • 5x7 white note cards  (Purchased, or make your own from good quality heavy cardstock)
  • 4x6 photo prints  (Original photos or computer-altered)
  • Assorted patterned papers to coordinate with prints
  • Double-sided adhesive tape (To secure the layers)
  • Paper trimmer, craft knife, straight edge, cutting mat

No comments:

Post a Comment