Monday, October 9, 2017

Faux Camo Purse by Judi Kauffman for The Queen’s Ink



Do you have an old purse that could use a facelift? A canvas tote, a leather bag that has seen better days? In my case, it was a khaki bag with a belt loop on the back, purchased at an army navy surplus store and worn in the days when I was skinny. (Alas, belts and I haven’t been best friends for two decades!)



The Queen’s Ink has such wonderful acrylic paints – iridescent, metallic, you name it – and that gave me a lightbulb moment: Faux camouflage! But not the kind that would blend in with a forest. No. This Faux Camo would be glitzy and quirky with a sophisticated flair, something I can use as an out-to-dinner bag. I chose metallic gold, metallic purple, and two shades of green. I picked up Tim Holtz’s Alcohol Inks in similar colors to alter the hardware. 

For contrast I picked a silky woven paisley ribbon for the strap. It’s an unexpected juxtaposition that pleases my eye and the pattern picks up the purple, green and gold. Plus, I love the pop of bright red!
I backed and strengthened the soft ribbon with a purple zipper, fusing the layers with iron-on webbing, though I could have used fabric glue.

After I finished the project and had taken photos of it for this blog post I realized that I wanted a longer strap to wear cross-body. I backed another piece of ribbon with a second zipper, this time a red one. I cut the first strap at the midway point and added an extra 22”.

I covered the two places where the pieces join with rings made from the same ribbon. But all of a sudden it needed something else: CHARMS to accent the ribbon rings. The inside of the strap is so lively and bright, and with the charms it looks like I intended it that way right from the start!

YOUR TURN
  • Find a purse that needs a facelift. Sponge, brush and splatter it with paints.
  • Alternatively, use stencils.
  • Alter the hardware with Alcohol Inks.
  • Add a strap if needed, or cut off and replace the existing one.
  • Sew ribbon rings or small strips of suede to the strap and add charms at those spots.
  • Embellish the pocket flaps or other areas with charms and beads if you want more dangling elements.

SUPPLIES:
  • Acrylic paints in 3 – 5 colors
  • Paintbrush and/or sponge wedges
  • Purse to alter (shown: Khaki canvas)
  • Ribbon and zipper(s)
  • Fusible webbing or fabric glue
  • Charms
  • Needle and thread






3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great transformation! I really love that it doesn't seem to have dried stiff. The little charms on the strap is a fun, whimsical touch too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun project. I may have to shop some yard sales to make these as gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those charms on the strap, and the purse..Love it all, what a great idea to "Jazz" up an old purse. I gotta run now, and check out my closet I think I have something that needs a facelift too...thanks for sharing a fun idea...

    ReplyDelete