Monday, October 23, 2017

Matchbox Challenge by Judi Kauffman for The Queen's Ink

I never smoked, but I always enjoyed collecting matchboxes. I toss the matches and use the boxes to hold tiny gifts. I've also opened and flattened them, adding them to place mats and collage projects.

The one above is from a long-ago trip to Paris. The one below is from a fun place where we go for pizza and the ginormous meatball!
These days, restaurant matchboxes are few and far between, but they're not hard to find at hardware stores.

THE CHALLENGE

I'm not going to show finished projects today. Instead, I'm issuing a challenge:

Create something unique and surprising that begins with one or more matchboxes and fits in the palm of your hand!

Find a few matchboxes. Empty them out. Decorate the exterior. Decorate the interior, too if you want. Use collage papers, stencils, air dry clay, flat elements, dimensional elements...Anything goes!

Tuck in a small doll or a found object; make tiny clay animals, a miniature Christmas tree, or tuck in a small photograph or a scroll with a poem or letter to your future self.

Get some friends and the kids in on the act! This is a fun project to share with others.

I'll be showing my matchbox projects in the near future, but not yet. I don't want to influence YOUR projects in any way by showing my own.

SUPPLIES

  • Matchboxes
  • and any of these:
  • Ribbon
  • Paper
  • Gesso
  • Paint
  • Stencils
  • Stencil Paste
  • Air dry clay
  • Charms
  • Found objects
  • Stamps

No comments:

Post a Comment