Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Mini Clipboards by Judi Kauffman for The Queen’s Ink



I like to spend the last few days of the year making little gifts to give during the next year. It gives me a good feeling to be getting ahead! And if someone stops by with an unexpected (belated) holiday gift for me, I’m prepared.




Mini clipboards are one of my favorites. They’re endlessly useful – by the phone (for those of us who still favor land lines), bedside (who doesn’t have random thoughts in the middle of the night), in the studio (to display a favorite ATC or photo).

I choose the variety with removable hardware, making it so easy to cover the front with embossed Shimmer Sheetz and then put the hardware back on when the surface is completed. Plus, Shimmer Sheetz can be wiped with a damp cloth if it gets dirty, and the project is DONE. Option: Instead of Shimmer Sheetz, use paint, stencils, and collage and seal the surface well with a couple of coats of matte acrylic medium.

If I’m in the mood to spend a bit more time, I combine lots of different pieces of Shimmer Sheetz as horizontal stripes (always fun to use up the scraps saved from other projects) with strips of washi tape and vinyl peel-offs set both vertically and horizontally to hold the Shimmer Sheetz pieces in place and to create a complex surface on the front. Sometimes I extend the tape and peel-offs around to the back for an extra pop of pattern as I did on the clipboard shown below.

No instructions today. I’ve posted larger clipboards and other Shimmer Sheetz-covered items in the past (notebooks, fan decks, journals), so scroll back for all necessary info.

Supplies:
  • Shimmer Sheetz in colors of choice
  • Embossing folders
  • Optional: Sanding block
  • Double sided adhesive sheets
  • Mini clipboards with removable hardware

2 comments:

  1. These are wonderful! Perfect for writing memos and grocery lists on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful idea. I need to have some ready-to-give gifts, and these would be fun to make and give. ty

    ReplyDelete