Sunday, June 9, 2019

Found Poetry by Judi Kauffman for The Queen’s Ink

Via email, my friend Jhone introduced me to ‘Found Poetry’ and it sounded so interesting that I thought I’d give it a try. Her postcard arrived before I’d started, and that sealed the deal! 

The method is simple: Cut words and phrases out of damaged books or old magazines, spread them out and combine them to form free verse or rhymed poems. Glue the found poetry onto postcards or into an art journal or traveler’s notebook, add them to a collage for the wall, or whatever you want. 

I was so surprised at what appeared in front of me, almost as if the cut pieces rearranged themselves to create something without any planning or input from me! The unconscious mind takes over, that’s for sure. In other words: Poetry HAPPENS!
I had already glued gel prints and beautiful papers into a small Moleskine journal so I wasn’t starting on plain pages, though you could! (The gel prints include my own plus prints from a swap with friends Debbie and Toni.)
At this point, I consider the pages to be almost done, but I wanted to step away for a few days to decide what to do - if anything!

Please comment: 
WHAT DO YOU THINK? Should I add stenciling, stamping, collage? 

Instructions:
1. Prepare the pages in an art journal or traveler’s notebook. Glue down gel prints or print, stamp, stencil and paint directly onto the pages. Alternatively: Work onto rectangles cut from painted or gel printed cardstock to make postcards, card fronts, or art to frame!

2. Cut out a LOT of words and phrases from damaged books and magazines. Spread them out in the lid of a box or on a tray. Hint from Jhone: Line the work tray with black paper so it’s easier to see the little strips of paper!

3. Arrange and rearrange the words and phrases until they flow like poetry. 

4. Arrange on the background till pleased with the look of the page. Glue down the words and phrases.

5. Add more to the pages - collage, stamping, stencils, doodling with pens or paint.

6. Optional: Seal pages with a light coat of matte medium.

Supplies:
  • Traveler’s Notebook, Moleskine or other journal with heavy weight paper
  • Scissors
  • Magazines, damaged books
  • Gel prints
  • Stencils, stamps, paint, pens, markers
  • Adhesive of choice
  • Optional: Matte medium

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this poetry/art play and have done it many times - it's always filled with serendipitous discoveries for me. Thanks for sharing it! As for your own pages, just go with your gut. I sometimes go back to a previously 'completed' page and add to it, even weeks later.

    ReplyDelete