Sunday, October 27, 2019

Envelopes or Card Fronts? By Judi Kauffman for The Queen’s Ink

Do I need more envelopes? NO! And yet...whenever I get a new set of stamps it’s the first thing I do. I experiment on a batch of envelopes, testing and puttering. The envelopes shown above are the ones that I feel are a success. The combination of iridescent sprays, inks, embossing powder and markers is one I will return to for card fronts. And I might just cut or tear up these envelopes and use the pieces for collage cards.

The envelopes that follow are, to my eye, absolute DUDS! And yet even though I don’t like them, I had fun and learned a lot. For example: An opaque copper pen over embossed outlines looks pretty terrific, and markers over iridescent sprays produce some really great effects.

I’m definitely going to tear up all six envelopes and see if I can come up with something interesting that uses the bits and pieces!

What do you like or dislike? Do you agree with my assessment? (I don’t usually show projects that I think are unsuccessful, but I’ve noticed that many blogs include designers’ rejects as a way of exploring alternatives, so I’m giving it a try!)




YOUR TURN
  1. Start with cardstock or pre-folded card bases instead of envelopes
  2. Instead of only one stamp, mix and match several.
  3. Instead of iridescent sprays go for splattered paint or use stencils to create backgrounds.
SUPPLIES:
  • Stamps from the Elizabeth St. Hilaire “Fronds & Florals” collection - RubberMoon: es7623h Cosmic Mum;  es7621g Among the Clover; es7620i Aloha
  • Iridescent spray mists (2 coordinating colors)
  • Alcohol markers
  • Metallic paint pens
  • Embossing powders in colors to coordinate with mists
  • Embossing ink
  • Heat tool
  • Envelopes or cardstock

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Love these colors so much!
    Great Pieces <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the 3D effect of embossing ink/powders on the edges only....thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete