Saturday, April 7, 2018

Brushstroke Backgrounds Part One by Judi Kauffman for The Queen’s Ink



I have a friend who swears that she has 10,000 backgrounds in her studio, that she likes making them more than using them! I know how she feels. Making gel prints and interesting sheets filled with textures and patterns is so much fun – no agenda, nothing planned, just playful puttering.

So that I can add to my own stash of background papers (under a hundred, I think, but I haven’t counted lately. Or ever…) I’ve gotten in the habit of keeping a stack of quarter-sheets of cardstock on my work table and instead of wiping paintbrushes on a paper towel before washing them I wipe them on the cardstock sheets. I also keep narrow scraps of cardstock and wipe paint onto them while I’m at it.



What do I do with these instant backgrounds? I use them for card fronts, I die cut them, tear them into pieces, make ATCs, incorporate them into collage.

I start with a mix of light and dark color cardstock, allowing the swaths of paint to produce high contrast textures as well as tone-on-tone. I rarely add more than two or three layers of paint because I like the color of the cardstock to remain visible, but now and then I end up with a totally paint-encrusted surface.

Sometimes I keep going, adding stenciling, stamping (ArtFoamies stamps work great!), and layers of torn paper before I declare a background ‘done’.

Now and then what began as a background turns into a fully realized collage, a small piece of art.

Options:
Instead of cleaning your brushes on solid color cardstock, start with patterned paper, pages from damaged books, or gel prints.

Instead of using only the paint that is left over from other projects, put out small amounts of paint and make it an intentional project – but keep the brush almost dry and use very little paint!

YOUR TURN


I would like to challenge you to give this a try some time in April and then leave a comment here on the blog to share what you liked or didn’t like about making Brushstroke Backgrounds.

Today’s ‘show and tell’ is merely a starting point. Tune in later this month to see what evolves when we post Brushstroke Backgrounds Part Two. I’m going to work on a batch of cards.

SUPPLIES

  • Cardstock
  • Acrylic paint
  • Paintbrushes

2 comments:

  1. Awesome ideas Judi. If you have a bunch of these made up then it's quick and easy to make up a card as needed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these and can't wait to see your cards! I do something similar using inks or watercolors in fine tipped bottles on watercolor paper. The streams of color can be combed with an old comb or the hard end of a paintbrush!

    ReplyDelete