Monday, April 23, 2018

Brushstroke Backgrounds Part Two by Judi Kauffman for The Queen’s Ink


As promised, I used the pieces of cardstock from Brushwork Backgrounds Part One to create a series of cards! I had considered doing further alterations on the rectangles – stenciling, drawing and such, and then decided to leave them as they were. 

I did, however, do a lot of cutting and piecing, layering, embellishment, stitching and collage. I included some favorite stamps of mine - the Laurel Burch Blossoming Woman and Imagine Butterflies, colored and fussy-cut for an oversized card/wall panel.

If you missed Part One of the Brushstrokes tutorial, click on the link to the right of this post under the "Recent Posts" heading.

I incorporated speckled cardstock in red, white, black and mustard (mustard used for the face and butterflies), along with some flocked and embossed scrapbook papers. Among the additions are chipboard flourishes, pieces torn from a cast-off book printed in Russian (I sure hope I didn’t accidentally use something political or off-color!), glitter dot peel-offs, staples, a paper flower, some orange iridescent Shimmer Sheetz circles, heavy twine and staples (two sizes: standard and Tim Holtz’s Tiny Attacher).


To hold things together I chose foam squares for dimension and double-sided adhesive tape for everything else.

To follow are more photos of projects to help kick-start your own Brushstroke Backgrounds projects. If you’d like to see a Brushstroke Backgrounds Part Three, please leave a comment and I’ll keep going!










SUPPLIES

  • Blossoming Woman (Stampendous)
  • Imagine Butterflies (Stampendous)
  • Permanent black ink
  • Markers
  • Colored pencils
  • Cardstock in red, white, black, and mustard
  • White acrylic paint
  • Wide, stiff paintbrush
  • Foam squares or tape
  • Double-sided adhesive tape
  • Glitter dots peel-offs (Elizabeth Craft Design)
  • Assorted embellishments
  • Staplers
  • Twine
  • Awl (to pierce holes for twine)

3 comments:

  1. Some of those deserve to hang on the wall - especially love the third and fourth one with cross stitching and staples! Judy always seems to think outside the box and makes it appear effortless (though it can't be, right?!). Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really fun and interesting backgrounds! What a unique look that is sure to appeal to the artist in anyone. Thanks so much for sharing with the Laurel Burch stamps by Stampendous, Judi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! So please do more! I enjoy the color scenes...The early morning colors are my fave... I think. And I love the cross-stitching with the BIG Xs. I might could do that! :)

    ReplyDelete