Wednesday, April 22, 2020

In Praise of Sunflowers Redux - More Watercoloring with Distress Inks! By Nancy Sheads for the Queen's Ink


GOOD MORNING FRIENDS! I’m back today with another project using the In Praise of Sunflowers stamp set by Power Poppy. I’m still on hiatus from my Copic markers and have continue playing with Distress Ink watercoloring.



Like my last card, I started by stamping the image on watercolor paper using Verafine and immediately covered it with clear embossing powder. However, this time I did the coloring with an actual watercolor brush instead of a waterbrush. I have a handful of lovely Black Velvet brushes by Silver. These brushes are a blend of natural squirrel hair and black synthetic filament. They hold and carry the water and pigment beautifully and are much easier to work with than the nylon tipped waterbrushes. They are pricey, but well worth the investment if you enjoy watercoloring.



This time I also used a mixture of Distress Ink pads and reinkers. I smushed the ink pads on my craft mat and picked up the color with a wet brush. But where possible, I substituted the Distress Ink Reinkers in place of the ink pads. I placed a single drop of ink on my craft mat and watered it down as desired. Since the ink is concentrated, I could get a better range of shades than with the ink pads. I prefer using the reinkers, but I don’t have all the colors so I had to make do with the ink pads as needed.

In a couple of places, I accidentally colored outside the line. When that happened, I applied water with a clean brush and then blotted the area with a paper towel. The water reactivated the ink and could be easily removed.



I created the background stripe pattern using Versafine ink and a stencil from Wendi Vecchi. Again, I immediately covered the ink with clear embossing powder and heat set it. I matched it with a yellow gingham design paper from My Favorite Things.

SUPPLIES

Paper: Neenah Solar White 110#; Distress Watercolor Cardstock by Ranger; Tiny Check Paper Pad by My Favorite Things
Stamp: In Praise of Sunflowers by Power Poppy
Inks: Versafine Clare in Nocturne by Tsukineko; Distress Inks in Mustard Seed, Carved Pumpkin (petals); Tea Dye, Walnut Stain (flower centers); Bundled Sage, Shabby Shutters, Forest Moss (leaves)
Stencil: Dots and Stripes Borders by Stampers Anonymous – Wendi Vecchi
Embellishments: Nuvo Fine Detail Embossing Powder in Crystal Clear by Tonic Studios

No comments:

Post a Comment