Saturday, April 11, 2020

Keeping Creative While Quarantined: One Table Runner Plus Two Belts = One New Tote Bag! By Judi Kauffman for The Queen’s Ink

My attention span is short, but the days are long. Like many, I have been making masks and have spent time cleaning and sorting. I turned to my linen closet for soft old napkins to turn into masks. While I was at it, I refolded all of the towels and pillowcases and table linens, and discovered a seldom-used table runner that I brought back from Guatemala some time in the 1980s when I worked with a non-profit group that helped women weavers.

The table runner was always too short. It wasn’t enough fabric to turn into a top or skirt, but it was just right for a tote bag! I added two belts - one to decorate the pleated top of the tote and one for the strap. DONE.

No cutting, no hemming - the table runner was already finished on all sides so all I did was sew side seams and corners to create a flat bottom. I hand-sewed the belt trim and strap because I didn’t want the stitching to show and because I had lots and lots of time to spend on the project. Plus, slowing down like that made me feel closer to the weavers whose skilled hands had worked for many hours to make the fabric and the beautiful bands.

YOUR TURN
What do you have around the house that could be made into a tote bag or something else? 

I chose fabric that was ready to go, but a different fabric could be stenciled, stamped or embroidered to cover stains or torn spots before getting its facelift!

*Cocktail napkins would make nice little drawstring bags for jewelry or cosmetics.
*Large bandanas would make great lightweight beach bags.
*Add a drawstring to a pillowcase to make a laundry bag.
*Add straps to a pillowcase instead of a drawstring and you’ve got a knitting bag.

If you’re new to sewing, an online search for free patterns is in order.

Stay safe. Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment