Thursday, April 2, 2020

Things to Do While Quarantined: Gratitude Bowls By Judi Kauffman for The Queen’s Ink

***CAUTION*** This project is a choke hazard! Keep it away from children and pets!!!

My friend Toni’s pastor suggested a way to feel grateful and remain focused on the good things in the world during these uncertain times. It immediately struck me as something I wanted to do:
  • Choose a small bowl.
  • Find 10 small stones.
  • Put the stones around the bowl.
  • During the day, put a stone in the bowl each time you feel grateful for something that is happening in your life.
  • Repeat each day.
A suggestion I’d like to add:
          Write down the reasons that the stones have been placed in the bowl.
Start a small gratitude journal, write on index cards, make digital notes on your phone - whatever seems appropriate and not burdensome.

OTHER OPTIONS:
          Choose ANY small bowl that is meaningful in some way. Shown above, a stone bowl from my friend Kathy. Shown below, an ornate leaf-shaped bowl from Leela, blown glass bowl inherited from my late friend Gail, an Asian sauce bowl - a thrift shop find, and a hand-painted bowl from Italy that we use for olive oil.

          Instead of 10 stones, choose colorful beads (butterflies!), glass marbles (flat or round, clear or iridescent) or gather ten small random objects from around the house that please you (a pin from Jhone, a pendant from Susan, a leaf I saw take shape in the hands of a blacksmith, a piece of clay that never made it to a project, an old buckle from when I had a waist...




YOUR TURN:
Take a walk around your garden or a park where it’s easy to keep social distance to find the 10 stones, wash them; polish, clear seal, paint or number them.

Pick a number of stones or objects other than 10.

Share this idea with others and encourage each other to finish each day with a filled bowl!

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea. Going to start this tomorrow morning, and keep track in my art journal. Thanks Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, meant to spell your name correctly, Judi...I should know better.

    ReplyDelete