Wednesday, November 2, 2011

gel printing fun...

Hi, it's Honoré here. If you remember, earlier in October, the Queen's Ink got a new product, a gel printing plate by Gelli Arts that makes it totally possible to monoprint without using gelatin! Clearly a 21st Century advancement. In my first/last post, I indicated that I had purchased a gel printing plate and that I'd share experiences and impressions. For starters, I had fun! Really super messy fun!

If you check out this post, you'll see a link to a video demonstration on how to use the gel plate. First, let me say it really is as easy as demonstrated, and clean up is a snap too. However, my workspace, hands and apron did not stay clean and neat as you'll see on the video. Or could it be that I'm just messy?!

I tried a variety of ways to make marks: rubber and foam stamps; stencils; and found items from the kitchen and various junk drawers. I used plastic forks, Q-tips, a meat tenderizer, a toothbrush, paintbrushes with different tips, my fingers and even a seashell I found. Stencils work least best as the paint always has a tendency to leak - it's better to dab paint on a stencil. I liked the impressions made by the rubber stamp better than those created with a foam stamp. The most fun were the "household found items." My suggestion: gather those items before you get started and just play. Here are a couple photos from my playtime:



The left, teal print was made with a stencil; the right, with stamps.


All the markings in this photo were made with the found household items; the yellow piece is also printed on muslin. I really like the texture and the clarity of the markings. Gonna have to try printing on fabrics, more.

Queen's Ink has both sizes of the gel plates: the 6 x 6 and the 8 x 10. I think if you like printing and want to try your hand at a simple, fun and creative way to print your art journal pages, tags and other mixed media pieces, you can't go wrong with this tool.
Let us know what you make.

Cheers~

PS. And it'll make a great gift too; even children,I'd say ages 8+, will take to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment