Friday, November 2, 2012

i heart Dina ...

Last weekend, fortunately before Hurricane Sandy made and left its mark, guest artist Dina Wakley was in town, here at The Queen's Ink! I attended, along with about 29 others, her Saturday workshops: Intro to Art Journaling and Affirmations Journal. Both workshops were fantastic, the latter building on the first.

Dina has a wonderful sense of humor and easily establishes rapport - you feel like you've known her all your life. I heart the way that she constantly challenged and reassured us that we could and would step out of our comfort zones. We did! I think her artist's apron sent the best subliminal message: messy is not just good, it's great. And there is within each of us a muse eager to get out and make art.



I heart the snippets of her life she shared, especially stories of her sons

I heart the tips she shared:

  • get and use a color wheel so you can avoid making brown when mixing paints, especially complementary colors... 
  • journal - write - in different directions: horizontal; on an angle; vertical; outside of silhouettes; inside silhouettes...
  • use tags as mini canvasses - they are inexpensive and can be used in a variety of ways: whole; cut in half or in strips or in shapes; or to "mop up" wet paint...
  • use palette knives for spreading paints - they have a little more flexibility and are easier to clean than a brush; another good tool: old credit or gift cards and hotel room keys...
  • keep a project box to keep bits -n-pieces of tags, pages made and not used, etc for future projects. And the best part is the box has a lid, it organizes the stuff neatly and serendipity just awaits as one ruffles through the contents.  No telling what one might find...and my favorite
  • don't think -just DO!
Dina promised to return in 2013 so watch for an announcement. And she has a new book coming in January...I wish it were tomorrow! I am really looking forward to getting my copy. In the meantime, I encourage you to visit her blog, try some of her online classes and check out her Creative Jumpstart Vimeo video:



Creative Jumpstart -- Dina Wakley from Dina Wakley on Vimeo.


If you attended the workshop, would love for you to share your experience in the Comments.

Cheers~

Honoré

2 comments:

  1. I loved loved loved Dina Wakely and her classes. I love that she taught us NOT TO THINK about what we are going to create, but just DO IT!! I love that there are no rules or steps to follow, just play with your inks, paint, stamps, whatever. I truly enjoyed the classes and will wait impatiently until she returns to the Queen's Ink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Suzie; my sentiments exactly!

    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete