Monday, September 11, 2017

Pen Circles by Judi Kauffman for The Queen’s Inkling


Long ago, I invented a project to amuse some children who were visiting: Pen Circles. It was a hit. And over the years it has become one of my favorites for when I’m on the go. Everything fits in a small zippered bag.

I hope you’ll join me!

First, die cut a series of circles from smooth, solid color or speckled cardstock. Then layer, arrange and rearrange the circles till happy with the way they look. Finally, glue the layers. I sometimes cut circles in half or trim away portions – there are no hard and fast rules!



Then pack up some pens, the layered circles and you're ready for take-off (plane trips go faster when I’m doodling), for visits with friends, and for endless hours in waiting rooms. If the doctor is forty minutes late I don’t notice. Well…yes, I do, but I have something with me so my blood pressure remains low!

When I’m layering the circles I don’t plan or think about what they might become. I just layer them in ways that please my eye and look interesting even without any drawing. Discovering plants and flowers, faces, abstract designs all comes later. It’s all about turning the circles around until an idea reveals itself, and then starting to doodle.








And I never throw away the scraps. It’s such fun finding interesting shapes within the leftovers. So many weird and quirky animals! Get out some scissors, cut the leftovers into pieces, leaving evidence of where the circles were originally die cut and adding legs and tails and ears or whatever else comes to mind. (Draw guidelines in pencil until you feel confident without them!) Add 1" white circles for eyes...then doodle and doodle some more. 





What do I do with the Pen Circles? So far, nothing! I just keep them stacked up in a box. I look at them now and then. But they might someday become ornaments, I might tuck them into an art journal or add them to card fronts. Who knows…

SUPPLIES
  • Solid color and speckled cardstock in four or more colors
  • Pigma Micron pens in black (01, 1, 005)
  • Gelly Roll Medium pen in white
  • Adhesive of choice
  • Circle dies (shown: 1” – 4”)

2 comments:

  1. Fun idea. I'm not much of a doodler, but must try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! I wish I had 1/16th of your talent Judi!! I'm going to have to try this some day. :)

    ReplyDelete