Saturday, June 15, 2019

Thick White Lines: Part I by Judi Kauffman for The Queen’s Ink

I found a dispenser of correction tape among my ‘vintage’ (AKA ‘old and forgotten’) office supplies! Remember typewriters? 

Rather than toss it into the trash, I decided to draw with it as if it were an opaque white paint pen with a precise, wide nib. I love the results. Today’s sample is just the beginning. I can envision using metallic braid to embellish/embroider across the white lines to create the look of a couching stitch. Cut or torn into pieces there are many possibilities for collage, and I want to experiment with different substrates, stencils, and acrylics, too.

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. Cut a piece of black cardstock into postcard-size pieces (4.5” x 5.5”) and begin to draw with correction tape. Embrace imperfection; allow the lines to meander, overlap, and end at angles.
  2. Fill in the background with lots of bright, shiny opaque gold leaving a narrow band of black around the white lines and shapes.

YOUR TURN
Try your hand at the technique I’ve explained.
Make postcards or card fronts.
Work directly into an art journal or traveler’s notebook.
Alternatively, look at your own stash of forgotten supplies and figure out a new way to use the item(s).

Supplies:
  • Pen-touch Metallic Paint Marker in Gold, Copper, or Silver (Sakura of America)
  • Black cardstock
  • Correction tape

No comments:

Post a Comment