Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Over the Moon for Rubbermoon! By Judi Kauffman for The Queen's Ink



I’ve been a fan of Rubbermoon stamps for many years. When I walked into The Queen’s Ink on August 6th to teach a class the display table just inside the door stopped me in my tracks. It was filled with Rubbermoon stamps! Before I’d even put down my tote bag and started set-up I went SHOPPING. (You know how that goes…)

The two stamps I chose for today’s projects were the first ones I picked up, though at the time I didn’t have an Inkling (pun intended) that I would soon combine them.

As always, one thing led to another. I stamped the Julia Cameron quote sideways on an envelope so the post office wouldn’t get confused by the text. All of a sudden it looked like a person. Bingo! I got out the Shrine Top and a figure appeared. A few quick doodles for feet, hands and face and the envelope was on its way…

This fun discovery led to cards with sideways-quote figures. Two of them are shown below.

While I was at it I made another one with a more traditional look, shown below.



RECIPE FOR THE CARDS:

Use the samples as a starting point. Duplicate them as shown or head in your own direction!

Combine two or more stamps in an unexpected manner. Design Detour: Turning a stamp sideways or upside down will help you see it in a totally new way.

Add in some scraps, do a bit of layering and collage with torn or cut pieces. Design Detour: The fuzzy pieces on the cards are leftovers from a newsprint pad (the strip that connects the front and back covers and secures the individual sheets).

Doodle, draw and color as shown or as you choose. Design Detour: Stamp a LOT of images so you can practice drawing the faces, arms and hands, feet, or anything else you want to add. Use glued-on collage or additional stamping instead of drawing if you prefer.

Mix in some die cut wildflowers (leftovers from the WildflowerTags published in The Queen’s Inkling on August 2, 2016).

Top it all off with embossing powder, flocking, micro beads, or another dimensional texture in selected areas. Design Detour: I used clear-drying Tombow Mono Aqua Liquid Glue topped with US ArtQuest ‘Berry Nice’ Prills, a jar full of fun...lot of colors and sizes in one mix.


Stick to a limited color palette. Design Detour: I worked with Kraft brown, grayish brown, and reddish brown cardstock and chipboard, plus red, white, and black. There are specks of gold in the Prills and I colored parts of the Shrine Top with a clear glitter pen.

SUPPLIES
  • Rubbermoon stamps: Shrine Top and Julia Cameron Quote
  • Black ink pad
  • Sakura Gelly Roll Medium in White and Stardust in Clear
  • Sakura Pigma Micron 01 in Black
  • Sizzix Tim Holtz Wildflowers die set
  • Clear drying glue
  • US ArtQuest Prills in Berry Nice (or other texture medium – micro beads, embossing powder, flocking powder, etc.)
  • Assorted cardstock, chipboard, folders, or envelopes in shades of brown and gray

6 comments:

  1. Love these Judi! The texture and color is wonderful. I love the whimsical way you used these to make people - so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really look great on the Kraft cardstock. Love that quote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genius! Love how you used the stamps & the whimsy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ADORABLE! Charming work as only you can do Judi. Wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  5. ADORABLE! Charming work as only you can do Judi. Wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are just delightful in every way.

    ReplyDelete