Saturday, November 30, 2019

Love to Laminate by Judi Kauffman for The Queen’s Ink

One thing leads to another, and then another, and another! That was the case the other day when I decided to spray some pieces of red and tan cardstock to use as backgrounds for some stamping. That’s all I intended to do, and yet before I knew it I ended up with four very fancy, somewhat glitzy, shiny laminated sheets of cardstock waiting to be turned into projects!

Instead of a little bit of mist I sprayed a LOT, saturating the cardstock and allowing the iridescent colors to blend and blur. I also used a pipette to drip color in a random manner. The photos don’t show how much the sheets had bent out of shape (they curved and nearly curled up because I let them air dry without weight to keep them smooth). Here’s what the cardstock looked like after the paints dried:

 As a test, I stamped onto my least favorite of the sheets with black StazOn ink and did a little bit of coloring with white, gold and blue pens. Boring! I was glad I’d only experimented on one of the sheets.
The black StazOn just didn’t do the trick so I kept going, this time with black (easy to see) pigment ink and embossing powder to add more texture and pattern. I chose embossing powder in gold, verdigris and red to echo some of the colors I used with the sprays.

The sheets remained distorted so I used my favorite trick - I laminated them. The heat of the laminating machine and the pressure of the rollers act like an iron and nicely flattens the sheets!  I carefully trimmed the laminate with a craft knife and ruler on a self-healing mat so each sheet is now a perfect 8.5” x 11”.



Now all I need to do is decide what to do with them! More coil- or ring- or disk-bound note pads and journals? Fancy postcards? Tags? Should I cut them up into small pieces and make magnets?

What would YOU do with these fancy laminated sheets??? Right now I’m enjoying looking at them as they are, a reminder of how much fun it is to putter in the studio without a definite plan!

SUPPLIES:
  • Cardstock in colors of choice
  • Spray mists in iridescent or pearlescent colors of choice
  • Pipette (to drip mists onto cardstock)
  • Heat tool
  • Craft knife
  • Straight edge/ruler
  • Self-healing cutting mat
  • Embossing powders in gold, verdigris, red, or other colors of choice
  • Stamps by Elizabeth St. Hilaire (RubberMoon)
  • Pigment ink pad in black (easy to see)
  • StazOn ink pad in black
  • Gelly Roll White 10 (Sakura of America)
  • Pen-touch Gold (Sakura of America)
  • Heat laminating machine (or copy center offering this service)

1 comment: